CastleGlenn consultants was retained by Alberta Transportation to identify a potential correlation between potential bypass solutions and lower tier highway service level classifications (Levels 2, 3 and 4).
The purpose of this discussion paper was to:
- identify what factors should be considered, what technical methodologies should be applied and what processes should be implemented when a bypass solution is to be considered for lower tier highways;
- provide guidance if such activities should differ for each of the various service classifications;
- evaluate municipalities with bypasses/realignments currently in place for comparative purposes;
- evaluate the potential for local arterial networks in the small urban centers alternatively to a bypass solution; and
- identify selection criteria to be used as a guideline to establish the best solution for various municipalities on Level 2, 3 and 4 highways, i.e. a bypass, an arterial network or status quo.
Transportation planning, traffic engineering, travel demand forecasting, research and committee presentations.
Role & Responsibility
Alberta Transportation North Central Region